Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Stracciatella Soup

Pin It
I'm working with a very small budget these days; I made a promise to myself that I would not eat out for lunch. Yesterday I walked into the kitchen hungry for lunch. I took a mental note of the ingredients I had on hand and there didn't seem to be anything easy to make. This is when I look at a full refrigerator and pantry and think, 'man, there's nothing to eat'. I was afraid I would have to break another promise to myself when I had an 'a ha!' moment.

I realized that I had the chicken broth made from my Sunday roast chicken(I will post this recipe soon), eggs, Pecorino Romano, and baby spinach.

Eureka! I'll make stracciatella soup! - Don't worry I had trouble pronouncing this at first too.

My former boss and mentor is the one who got me hooked on this simple and extremely comforting, delicious soup. I would get it often from the local pizzeria and this is my take on it.

5 cups of chicken broth - homemade broth brings this soup the extra mile.
2 eggs
1/2 cup of Pecorino Romano(I love to grate my own but most often use pre-grated Locatelli)
2-3 handfuls of baby spinach
Salt and pepper to taste
optional: fresh Italian Parsley

1. Bring the chicken broth to a soft boil in a medium sauce pan.
2. Whisk eggs and grated cheese together. Add finely chopped parsley to egg mixture.
3. Drop egg mixture in hot broth with baby spinach.
4. Stir and let cook. The eggs and spinach cook almost instantly and you're left with a great soup.

I love to serve this soup with a little cheese and fresh grated pepper on top. The whole process took ten minutes. Lunch doesn't get much easier than this and I didn't have to break my promise.


I would suggest for next time:

Having this soup with some good Italian bread.


Stracciatella (soup)                                                                               





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment