Friday, March 16, 2012

Honey Bourbon Ginger Pork Tenderloin

Pin It

I was watching my new favorite show, Worst Cooks, and the contestants were trying to recreate one of Bobby Flay's dishes. He had made a really scrumptious looking pork tenderloin that involved a bourbon sauce. I stopped paying attention to the show as soon as I heard the word 'bourbon'. I walked into the room where the liquor is kept and picked up the bottle of Makers Mark.

I looked at the bottle with sheer determination and thought, 'I will make something with you today.'

I had chosen my ingredient and I went straight into the kitchen. I started fussing over the stove trying to make a bourbon reduction of some sort. I thought if I could figure out how to make a sweet bourbon sauce to pour over poached pears, it would be absolutely delicious. This idea quickly turned into an indestructible tar that is still in a pan soaking two days later. I stared at the black mess for a while and picked up the bottle of makers mark again and poured out 2 tablespoons into a bowl.

Here's what happened:

I marinated pork tenderloin for 6 hours in the following -

4 Tbsp. canola oil
1 Tsp. ginger powder
3 Tsp. honey
2 Tbsp. Bourbon
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
a dash or two of cayenne pepper.

I set the grill to a medium high heat and grilled the tenderloin on each side for 8 minutes and 2 minutes per quarter side. There are many people who say you only need 3 minutes per quarter but since my meat thermometer was on the fritz I put it on for longer. Normally, I would turn the meat evenly so that every angle of the tenderloin has grill marks until a meat thermometer reads 145 degrees. I let the pork rest off the grill for 10 minutes and then served it sliced with mashed potatoes and carrots.

The flavor of the bourbon really came through which was the whole point!


I would suggest for next time:

Instead of mashed potatoes you might want to serve with a baked sweet potato or for a healthier option, over a spinach salad.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment