Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Haddock with Warm Tomato Salsa


I love cooking for myself almost as much as I love cooking for others. When I was told I was to fend for myself the other night I got excited. Cooking for fussy eaters (read : my boyfriend) can annoy me to no end. This one certain fussy eater is not fond of seafood so every time it's just me eating I go find myself a nice piece of fish to do something with. Cooking for one is fun but it can also be challenging.When I cook for one or two I almost always end up with enough to feed at least four. I think this problem is genetic because my mother, who was only ever cooking for four, always ended up with enough for eight.

The following is a light very fast dinner for two.(I made too much as always) Paired with a light wine like Pinot Grigio and you have a simple weekday dinner or a lazy Saturday night in.

1 Large Fillet of Haddock - cut in two equal parts
1 Tbsp of Butter
1 Tbsp of Extra virgin olive oil **
A few dashes of paprika per side of fish
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tsp of Lemon juice
1 Clove of Galric - minced
1 Ripe Vine Tomato - diced

1. In a heavy bottomed frying pan on medium heat add the oil and butter.
2. Add the haddock seasoned with salt pepper and paprika. You want to make sure you hear the sizzle as soon as the fish hits the pan. If you don't hear the sizzle your pan is not hot enough. Cook fish for about 3 minutes per side. Squirt 1 tsp of lemon juice while cooking.
3. Remove fish from pan and add garlic and after about 1 minute add tomatoes. Add the second squirt of lemon juice, salt and fresh ground pepper. After 1 minute in the pan pour on top of fish.

** I often use half butter half oil. That way I get the butter flavor I want and the oil helps to avoid burning or browning the butter.

As soon as I took the fish from the pan I put it on a a bed of baby spinach. The butter, lemon, olive oil and tomatoes from the pan acted as a nice dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment