Thursday, March 22, 2012

Spice Rubbed Steak Tacos with Chipotle Cream Sauce


It was another beautifully warm day in Syracuse and I decided I wanted brave the grill. I did an inspiration stroll around the super market. This is where I walk down every aisle of the store with absolutely no clue what to make. I wanted something fresh and light where I could still cook outdoors.

A friend had mentioned steak tacos to me earlier so I picked up 1 1/4 lb of sirloin tip steak, a can of chipotle peppers and a package of soft tacos.

Here's what happened:

Rub for Steak:
2 Tbsp. Kosher salt
1 Tbsp. Coarse black pepper
1 Tsp. Onion powder
1 Tsp. Garlic powder
1-2 Dashes Cayenne pepper

Chipotle Cream Sauce:
1 7oz Can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 Cloves of garlic
1 8oz Package of sour cream
1/2 Cup of mayo
1 Tsp. Black pepper
2 Tsp. Kosher salt
1 Tbsp. Honey

Toppings:
1/2 of 1 Red onion diced.
1 Green pepper diced
1 Small tomato diced
1 cup Monterey Jack grated


1. Rub the steak with the seasoning and let sit for 30 minutes.
2. In a food processor pulse the chipotle peppers and garlic until smooth and then add the remainder of the ingredients for the sauce.
3. Heat the grill to medium/ medium high heat. - I grilled the 1/2 inch thick piece of meat I had for 7 minutes per side and got a medium piece of steak.
4. Let the steak rest and prepare/slice/dice/grate the other taco ingredients. - I put each of the ingredients in little bowls and let the taco eaters help themselves.
4. Slice the steak thin against the grain.

This was enough for 9 tacos.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment